Do you want to create folders in Gmail? Well, this’s the right place to get all the details.
Gmail doesn’t have folders, but we can use labels. Creating labels make it easier to sort, categorize, and group emails to aid in easy searching and retrieval. Unlike folders, you can assign multiple labels to a Gmail email. It’s like applying multiple categories to the same blog post, such as Facebook and social media.
Let’s check how to create Gmail folders on desktop, iOS, and Android devices.
How to Create a New Folder in Gmail (Desktop)
There are two ways to create labels on Gmail web interface – through settings or left pane of Gmail screen.
- Open your browser and sign in to Gmail. Scroll down through the left pane and click on ‘more’.
2. Scroll down again to locate options to create and manage labels. Select the last option, ‘Create new label’.
3. A pop-up screen will appear like this,
Enter a label or folder name in the first field. If you want to place it in another folder (sub-folder), choose the parent folder in the second field. Otherwise, leave it as blank.
Finally, click on Create.
That’s it. The new folder is successfully created and added to the left pane of your Gmail screen.
Creating a New Gmail Folder through Settings
This is another way to create a new Gmail folder on Desktop. Let us check how it works,
- Open Gmail on your web browser. Click the gear icon from the top-right corner.
Visit ‘See all settings’.
2. Head to the second tab – Labels. Scroll down to locate ‘Create New Label’option.
Enter your new label or folder name in the pop-up box. Tap the Create button.
How to Create a New Folder in Gmail (Android & iPhone)
Both iPhone and Android have similar settings to create new labels.
- Open Gmail on your Android or iOS device. Tap the three dots icon from the top-screen. Gmail should serve a slide menu now with all your email folders and labels.
Scroll down to find ‘Create New’ option to create a new folder. A pop-up box will appear. Enter a name for your new label.
If you are not getting the ‘Create New’ option on Gmail app, open Gmail in your mobile browser. Switch to the desktop version to view all options like a desktop browser. From there, you can create and manage labels, as we mentioned in the previous session.